Low carb diets are incredibly popular for weight loss. Most of us - myself included - have tried these diets with varying degrees of success. Here is a list of the top 4 advantages and top 4 disadvantages of low carb diets that all dieters should keep in mind.
Low Carb Advantages
1. Increased feelings of satiety that make it easier to undereat and achieve negative calorie balance.
2. An elimination of processed foods high in refined carbohydrates.
3. An ability to rely purely on the appetite suppressive effect of low carb diets removes some of the need to count calories.
4. Intellectually easy to follow.
Low Carb Disadvantages
1. An elimination of many healthy carbohydrates including fruits and vegetables.
2. The reliance by some dieters on low carb diet foods that are highly processed and full of chemicals.
3. Some dieters begin to incorrectly believe that calories and energy balance don't matter, and fail to lose weight when they overeat protein and fat.
4. Low energy levels.